Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Following Florence

Florence Luong is an alumna of InterVarsity Binghamton. After graduating last Spring, Florence went to China to be a transformative power there. Florence is a great example of IV members becoming "World Changers."

Email Received 12/26/09:

Hi everybody!

I hope you enjoyed your Christmas and are enjoying your post Christmas weekend! This whole week has been busy for me with teaching, celebrating Christmas with teachers, celebrating Christmas with team, and even attending a Christmas Eve service at His house with Chinese believers. It's been tiring, but so full of love and goodness.

Teaching the real reason for this season in my classroom was a blessing. It was so empowering just even saying the Son's name in the classroom. Teaching my students also meant opportunities for my co-teachers to hear the story, because they were translating. My teamleader reminded me how lucky I was to be able to freely share that part of my life with them this week.

Three students came to my apartment to celebrate Christmas with me. Two of them are in my class. One of them actually asked me in class if he could come to my apartment with his friends at 9:00 pm. It was really cute haha. They came at the same time that we were having a Christmas party with our co-teachers. It was really fun not having to be their English teacher and just playing with them

As for the Christmas party with the teachers, it was a pretty good turnout =) We also had 2 other foreign teachers come to our party. I was really glad that my co-teacher, Max, was able to make it. During class this week, I had my worldless word book with me, and I asked him about it. He told me that he had read parts of it before, but felt intimidated by it. I hope that as the year goes on, his perception changes and there will be encouragement for him to read it again.

Celebrating Christmas in China wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. My team and I celebrated by doing secret santa, eating breakfast together, unwrapping presents, and caroling. All the days leading up to Christmas, my secret santa left jokes for me in my office and apartment =) Here's my favorite one:
Why does Santa Claus like to work in his garden?
Because he likes to hoe, hoe, hoe! :)

Overall, this week has been good. Tiring, but good. I hope you all had a great Christmas and are relaxing this weekend. Enjoy the rest of the holiday season :)

Peace and Joy,
Florence

P.S. I made collages of my Christmas celebration. One is with students and the other is with teachers & team. Check it outttt
















Email Received 1/15/10:
Hey everybody!

I hope 2010 has been off to a good start for you. I just finished my first semester at SMBS (Shanxi Modern Bilingual School)... which means I'm officially on vacation! My team and I are leaving for Thailand tomorrow morning at 9 AM (Friday at 8 pm in America) for ELIC's annual conference. During this time, ELIC's staff will be seeking for next year's plans. My teammates and I are nervous about what will be revealed to us. Please rap that we would be reminded that His plans for us are not just for His glory, but also have our best interests at heart. Please rap for clarity and protection, because I know it's also an opportune time for the devil to work distraction, confusion, and lies.
I hope to update and connect with you in the next month and a half when I'm not in China. It will be easier without online restrictions (facebook & gmail). Hope to talk to you soon!

With love,
Florence

No comments: